Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The thing about gardening...

We are blessed to have a large front and back yard in our new home. Having that much space is great – you’re not right on top of your neighbors and the dog and kids have plenty of room to run around. Oh wait, we don’t have dogs or a kid. Well there’s plenty of room for Mr. P to run around, perferably with a lawn mower in tow.

Out front we have flowers and we have weeds. The thing is, I can’t quite tell the difference. Sure some of them just look…I don’t know, “weedy.” But others...well you can’t be so sure about the others. For example, there was a weird little plant that looked like a weed – I almost pulled it but decided to wait for my mother-in-law’s visit. (she actually knows what she’s doing out there) I’m glad I didn’t pull it because I went out to get the paper this morning and the little “weed” had become this:

Photobucket

Way to go, city slicker. Almost killed the prettiest flower out there.

Two mangy looking bushes turned out to be these:

Photobucket

And a weird looking bush is actually peonies, one of my favorite flowers. I guess I didn’t realize that peonies grow in the wild. I guess I thought they were raised in a Petri dish by the scientists at 1-800-Flowers.

Photobucket

And what about this? I almost dug up these sticks but decided I was too lazy. (I decide that often and much) And thank god I didn't because look:

Photobucket

Joan, if you're reading this, I promise not to touch anything until you get here and save me from myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

From ThisOldHouse.com